Saturday, January 24, 2009

Getting after it...

In order to make my 5K and half-marathon goal this year, I hopped back on the bandwagon with my "Couch to 5K" buddy, Robert Ulrey. This dude took the Cool Runnings "Couch to 5K" program and set it to podcasts. This way you don't have to time yourself, figure out when to run, walk, etc. He tells you when to do each and sets it to some motivating techno music.

Speaking of the music, I chuckle at it now, but it was extremely motivating about a year ago when I started using this plan. It was a bit of a rough patch and the song lyrics just kept reminding me that despite what had happened, I was stronger. Listening to it now reminds me of that and just makes me laugh a little to myself when I think about those times. 180 degrees.

Anyway, for some reason, although I got through the week 1 program with no trouble earlier this week, I just couldn't finish the last running interval. I felt lightheaded so I just slowed down and walked for a bit longer instead. My plan this semester is to run Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. I have an evening class on Wednesday so instead of waiting until the weekend for a rest day, I'm going to use Wednesday as such.

For anyone who is interested, here's the link for the podcasts and the program itself. If you're already pretty athletic or doing some running, here's another good beginner 5K training program.

Happy weekend peeps!

No comments: